Saturday, January 29, 2011

Procrastination and Resolutions

So what does a graduate student do to procrastinate writing her thesis? She explores the internet. She listens to some strange information on YouTube about Mormon undergarments. She views random blogs, she checks Facebook, and she reflects upon a conversation she had with a young undergrad student yesterday. Every once in a while, a student comes along that thrills an educator. This student is an English major, and a communications major. She's currently reading mother Theresa and Nietzsche, she's just finished a novel and has declared she loves people and loves to think. She wants to spend more time thinking and getting to know people. I wish that any person that has any kind of penchant toward writing could feel the same way. Writing is thinking, and learning, and growing. While I am here at the end of the month of January, I spent time this month analyzing what I need to do differently in need to write more, I need to think more, and I need to take better care of myself. So instead of resolutions at the beginning of the month, I'm hammering them out at the end of the month. Part of my writing will be returning to Journal keeping. I've let this go over the last several years and it's time to return and to do it for no one but myself.
Here's a poem I wrote several years ago during the summer and a recently revised it. And please know that I'm only slightly obsessed with tomatoes.

A Tomato Sandwich
The wooden cutting board is an altar.
With sacred elements gathered,
a gleaming chef’s knife, salt shaker,
a jar of creamy mayo
and soft white bread,
the first virgin fruit has been plucked from the vine.
Rubenesque, rosy and fertile, it glows like the summer sun.
Tenderly, the first harvest is laid upon the holy table.
With the knife piercing the skin and slicing through,
its virtues are laid bare as the eyes of heaven watch.
The succulent, red sacrifice
cast upon the bread ---
An offering of salt sprinkled to refine flavor.
The ecstasy of that first bite --
scarlet juices mingle with the purest white mayonnaise
trickling down the chin of a mighty ravenous god who is
satisfied….
for a while.

No comments: